After a United States Citizen Marries someone from another Country, you can begin the very formal process of getting a Green Card by Marriage.

There is a LOT to do and a lot of documentation to provide.

You will need to file a Petition for Alien Relative, Affidavit of Support, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, obtain a Medical Report from a Certified Civil Surgeon, Employment Authorization, travel authorization, biographic information for both spouses, e-notification of acceptance along with supporting documentation.

What to file as “supporting documentation” is probably what many don’t realize they need to include with their Green Card packet. Most folks are surprised at things that should be submitted, but which they never thought about.

The issue is that you have many petitions, applications and other documents to submit. If you don’t submit the right documents, at the right time, your Green Card can be denied. Then you will have to refile, which would cost a total of nearly $3,000 just for filing fees, and you will have to wait longer to get what you want, the Green Card.

Not having an immigration lawyer can get very expensive very quickly.

You should seriously consider discussing your plans with an immigration lawyer. It would be best if you discuss your plans BEFORE you get married.


Because the very timing of your marriage can give you serious problems later on, which may prevent your spouse from getting a Green Card, and even Citizenship. It is best to consult an attorney early on in the process.

Your immigration lawyer will ensure that you get the best chance of getting your Green Card.

Your Green Card Through marriage to a US. Citizen is not an automatic or guaranteed right. The USCIS can deny your Green Card as they have the right to deny you at their option.

A Green Card through marriage to a U.S. Citizen may be the quickest and easiest way to get a Green Card. Of course, the marriage must be real. This is proven by additional documentation submitted with your packet.

Your immigration attorney will guide you through all the things that need to be completed in order for you and your spouse to get a Green Card.

Would you like a Free Telephone Consultation?

Ray Wood, Immigration Lawyer   –   Telephone: 518-330-8722